Friday, April 2, 2010

Eggs

"The white Easter lily has come to capture the glory of the holiday. The word "Easter" is named after Eastre, the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring. A festival was held in her honor every year at the vernal equinox."
"The Easter Bunny is a rabbit-spirit. Long ago, he was called the "Easter Hare", hares and rabbits have frequent multiple births so they became a symbol of fertility. The custom of an Easter egg hunt began because children believed that hares laid eggs in the grass. The Romans believed that "All life comes from an egg." Christians consider eggs to be "the seed of life" and so they are symbolic of the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

As I was preparing Taylor's Easter basket, I decided to research the origins of some traditional Easter symbols -the white Lily, the Easter Bunny, Easter eggs- to discuss with her. I didn't realize how the "spring symbols" would collide with fertility... the birth of new life. Common sense I guess. Sometimes I lack such qualities. The most important lesson in her Easter basket is the death and resurrection of our Lord Savior, Jesus Christ. God sent His son, Jesus, to die for you and me. His blood covers our sin and His sacrifice allows us to have eternal life.

1 Peter 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead...


God has special reasons for not allowing the birth of new life in women, whether it be temporary or permanent, whether they are allowed a child through natural means or adoption or whether God has decided their lives are meant to be spent without a child. As much as some of those choices hurt, some type of peace can be gained by knowing He has given us eternal life. His peace can cover us, just as His blood covers our sins. After learning more about the Easter symbols of today's world, I will look at Easter eggs as signs of fertility... birth, new life. I will marvel in His creation of human life. I will be reminded that He has given me eternal life, rebirth. The Easter egg will remind me that only God gives life. Hope. Faith. Isn't it ironic that my egg quality will be checked in a few weeks? Praying for good eggs ;) A few chocolate Reece's Easter Eggs are always good too.


That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." Romans 10:9-11

1 comment:

  1. I am praying too! And along with that prayer is belief to back it up!

    Oh- and I am now banning reese's chocolate eggs from my house. I left the bag open on my counter and ate almost an entire bag without noticing until they were almost all gone.I will notice that on my thighs in about a week. Not good-shame on me. L

    ReplyDelete