Monday, April 12, 2010

We do not know what we ought to pray for....

Prayer. Have you ever felt so overwhelmed with what to pray for that you just don't want to pray? I experienced this today. It was not related to infertility. However, it did remind me of several situations I've experienced with the process. 1 Thessalonians says to 'pray continually'. Psalms 46:10 says 'be still and know that I am God.' Pray. Listen. I can admit it, I need to practice the art of being still and listening more often. 


And sometimes I have "those days" or "that decision"....a heavy heart. Sometimes a heart is just too sad to form words. Sometimes the choices and decisions are overwhelming hard. To name 3 at hand....do we adopt, do we do IVF, do we stop all together. And my goodness, each of  those choices require a thousand prayers of their very own! Overwhelming. Then, my mind gets so boggled with the "what ifs", "buts", "can't".... Then, on top of all that, I begin to... you get the pitiful picture. Madness sets in. It's not even hopelessness or doubting His miracles or throwing in the towel... it's just my mind gets so tired. Sometimes it's easier to just push everything aside and get back to it later. I don't want to miss that important "thing" to pray over. I put all the burden on my shoulders and become totally discouraged about the topic at hand. Sometimes I feel like my mind is like a little hamster, running around the little wheel... turning around and around, getting nowhere while becoming exhausted.


"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31 


I looked for verses about hamsters, but couldn't find one. (that was a joke) Luckily, I don't have to carry the burden of knowing what to pray for when my mind and heart are too heavy for words. God searches my heart - Psalms 139:23. Jesus intercedes for us - Romans 8:34. And, the Holy Spirit "groans" on our behalf.


"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." Romans 8:26

"The God 'who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit' and answers according to God’s will. Since His way is perfect we are always assured of His very best for us. 'We do not know what we ought to pray for,' but the Holy Spirit always knows, and God the Father will always answer His prayer." (Selah website quote)

And THAT, my friends, makes my heart happy.
  
"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee..."Psalms 55:22




No comments:

Post a Comment